In my opinion, A Boy’s Life was a captivating memoir that provided insight into one boy’s troubled childhood and espoused the triumph over one’s difficulties through the realization of inner strength and self-worth.
I enjoyed reading Wolff’s memoir since, although I did not have the same experiences he did, I was able to relate his trait of wanting to please others. This made his memoir more relevant and extremely enjoyable. I also especially liked Wolff’s use of rhetorical devices. His employment of simile allowed me to better understand Wolff’s observations, and through the integration of imagery, I could clearly picture the other characters.
Besides Wolff’s use of rhetorical images, I thought his style was unique and invigorating. While his style is less succinct than some authors such as Ernest Hemingway, I enjoyed the extra detail since it allowed me to better relate to Wolff’s viewpoint. However, I appreciated Wolff’s ability to provide simple yet detailed descriptions making it concise for the reader while relatable. Whether it was depicting a character or location, Wolff clearly illustrated the scenario even while employing short and simple sentences. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed reading A Boy’s Life and had fun exploring a Hemingway-type style that was both relatable and entertaining.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment